[Wolves] compression formats

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:57:24 BST 2005

On 19/09/05, Alan Pope <alan.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/09/05, roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > whats the best compression out of the following....
> >
> > .gz
> > .bz2
> > .tar
> > .tar.gz
> > .tar.bz2
> > .zip
> >

> tar isn't compressed, so really you're comparing gz, bz2 and zip.
>
> I'd say in general bz2 is better, yes, but it depends what you're compressing..
>
> Of course you could just test it and find out?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

tar actually stands for 'Tape ARchive'.  It's a way of rolling a whole
load of ifles together into one file.  This is then 'zipped' or more
properly compressed using a compression format.  This is why when you
have a e.g. file1.tar.bz2 you need to untar it then uncompress it.

Have I got that right?

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street