[Wolves] webcams

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:58:49 BST 2005

On 21/09/05, baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hiya, so what is the secret to getting webcams working with linux,
> Ubuntu 5.10,? I've got a couple of USB cams but I can't get them fired
> up.

Exceptionally difficult to tell without the make and model number!

Fact is, some work, some don't. Some have good drivers that allow good
control over the camera (brightness, contrast etc) others just grab
raw images and they don't look too hot.

I have a Philips Toucam 740K which works very well under linux. There
were "issues" with the driver some months back but that's all sorted
now. I also have a couple of cheapo sweex based cameras, and they
don't work in the same webcam app as the Philips, but they do work
with a different kernel and software.

Best thing to do is google for the make/model and the word "linux" and
see what turns up. Either that or let us know what they are and we
might help..

Cheers,
Al.