[Wolves] Ok now i'm slightly worried.

Bobby Singh bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 12:29:59 BST 2005

Hello,

I tried a link from one of the post which was
www.hackerwatch.org/probe.  My set-up is a belkin
modem-router with its own firewall.  Then on my linux
distros and other os they have there own firewall such
as firestarter.  I thought this would well secured.
Now this website tests your firewall/security of your
PC.  I tried the 'simple probe' which was a basic one
with the results;

'...we were able to get a response from the computer
at the IP address...'
'... computer is through a router behaving as a NAT
(network address translator)...'
'...we can not test your computer directly but through
your proxy server...'

Well my router is firewalled so all good.

Then i tried the 'port scan' which is more precise.
The results were;

Closed but Unsecure
21 (FTP)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
23 (Telnet)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
25 (SMTP Mail Server Port)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
79 (Finger)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Open and Unsecure!
80 (HTTP)
If this computer is not supposed to be acting as a web
server you should not have this port open.

Closed but Unsecure
110 (POP3 Mail Server Port)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
139 (Net BIOS)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
143 (IMAP)
This port is not being blocked, but there is no
program currently accepting connections on this port.

Secure
443 (HTTPS)
This port is completely invisible to the outside
world.

Now the fact i don't know what these abbreviations
stand for and mean wasn't enough.  They are all
UNSECURE besides the '443 HTTPS'.  Now i thought with
my ubuntu and vector and the other OS all packed up
with firewalls and security.  I thought it was more
than ok.  Now i'm on a lot of reserch on 'ports' and
not ship kind. People who have tried this what results
do they get, which firewall blocks most ports,  do i
need to worry about the ports, what shall i change in
my set-up to to be secure.