[Wolves] The Bitch is back!

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 10:51:54 BST 2005

<snip>
<rant on thread hijacking>
You're less likely to get an answer by replying to PeterC's thread (not
that he's disliked and people ignore him, just some might choose not to
read it all after the first post, assuming that everything else is going
to be Peter saying what a good time he had, how many chicks he pulled,
how much he drank, how he's so burnt and pulled a fast one on the turk
traders etc.
</rant>

> Anyway, back to PC stuff...  Is there a way fo figuring out what a
> stick of memory actually is without having to go through the hassle of
> trying it in a motherboard.  I mean, there are a load of numbers and
> codes etc and they must mean something???  Why do I ask?  Because I
> have a big bag full of SIMM's and DIMM's and want to know what they
> are!  I want to upgrade this old PC I have (mentioned in an earlier
> post) but don't really want to mixing PC100 with PC 133 RAM.  Done
> that before...it doesn't always like to play :-(

<snip>

Normally memory will have stickers on it, with e.g. 100Mhz or 133Mhz
written on it. The manufacturers normally put little grooves in the
bottom of the memory so you can't plug in totally incompatible memory.
I've not heard of any problems from mixing 133 and 100mhz memory before
- I've certainly done it on my mother's computer.  All I can recommend
is that you run memtest on it (and leave it running for an hour or more)

Hope that's of some use,

David.

--
David Goodwin