[Wolves] usenet server

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:00:33 BST 2005

On 27/09/05, roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering what is good usenet server software?
> and did anyone see the news on /. about be isp?
> --

The packaged nntp server with Debian/Ubuntu seems to do the job

sm at cmt02smorris01:~$ apt-cache show nntp

 This package enables the a C News server to exchange News over the
 Internet using the NNTP protocol. It allows remote reading over NNTP.
 The nntpd server is run from inetd saving resources.
 .
 Included are nntpd and the programs needed to transmit
 news using nntp (nntpxmit, nntpsend).

and also inn

 This package provides INN 2.x, which is a very complex news server
 daemon useful for big sites. The 'inn' package still exists for smaller
 sites which do not need the complexity of INN 2.x.
 .
 The news transport is the part of the system that stores the articles
 and the lists of which groups are available and so on, and provides
 those articles on request to users. It receives news (either posted
 locally or from a newsfeed site), files it, and passes it on to any
 downstream sites. Each article is kept for a period of time and then
 deleted (this is known as 'expiry').
 .
 By default Debian's INN will install in a fairly simple 'local-only'
 configuration.
 .
 In order to make use of the services provided by INN you'll have to
 use a user-level newsreader program such as trn. The newsreader is
 the program that fetches articles from the server and shows them to
 the user, remembering which the user has seen so that they don't get
 shown again. It also provides the posting interface for the user.

Thanks

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com