[Wolves] Gah... Blonde moment

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 06:47:55 BST 2005

chris ball wrote:

> Whilst at work, I opened ran wget &, and hoped it would still be working
> when I got home.
>
> I'm now home, and I can see it with 'ps', what's the command to bring it
> back to the shell (if there is one?)

fg and bg (foreground/background) are probably what you're after (as
well as "jobs").

However, what you describe doesn't sound right - you can't (as far as I
know) attach a process to a different terminal than the one you started
it on (unless someone knows how to handle stdout/stderr and other file
descriptors?). The only way (I know) to do this is to run the command
from within something like "screen" which allows you to disconnect and
then reconnect again from different login sessions.

Hope that kind of makes sense,

thanks
David.

--