[Wolves] EPC2100 Modem

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 23:12:06 BST 2005

--- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Anyone using or used the following modem:
>
> Scientific Atlanta Webstar EPC2100 series
>
> A friend of mine is changing over to Linux and asked
> me if this modem will work.
>
> I did a search on Google but didn't find much.

Me neither but it seems they are popular in Spain and
Eastern Europe...

To be honest I don't know. You could just suck it and
see - get a live CD such as Knoppix, Morphix, Mepis or
Ubuntu (I think SuSE used to do them too) and try your
luck.

What kind of modem is it (ADSL, cable or 56k dialup)
and what interface does it use to connect to the PC?
If it uses an ethernet port to connect to the PC then
you're almost certainly laughing. If it uses USB then
you need drivers probably. If it's a 56k serial modem
then your laughing once again, but I'm guessing it's a
USB ADSL modem and in that case it's hit and miss.

Try a live CD and if no joy ask your friend if they
are willing to shell out for a new modem/router (I
just got a Linksys WAG354g from ebuyer for £65
including delivery which replaced my smoothwall, frog
modem and wireless access point, it would have
replaced my network switch too if there weren't so
many PCs plugged into it). Either that or find a
cheaper option, or stay with Windows (sadly). I'm not
sure why people make Windows only hardware for the
mass market these days.

Things like that are affordable and very highly
specified these days. D-Link, Netgear and Belkin are
alternatives. They also remove any driver requirements
as you plug your phone line in one end and a network
cable to your PC in the other.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk