[Wolves] Memory identification..

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Sep 29 08:03:13 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:
> Is there a program that I can run in Linux (SuSE, Ubuntu/Kubuntu or
> Vector) that will give me a run down in specification of the memory
> installed in a PC.  I sorted some bits out last night and am now at
> the heady heights of 132mb of RAM in the old, old PC that I've
> resurrected.

I don't think Linux gets to know much about the specification of the
memory itself. I'm not sure if any O/S does (apart from how much of it
there is)

  But I would like to know whether I've mixed PC66, PC100
> and PC133.  It's quite possible that I have as there are now two
> different sizes of DIMM with a matched pair (16mb each) of SIMMs.
>
> Secondly...is there anywhere that I can get cheap old DIMMS (PC 100 or
> better still PC133) of reasonable size?  I'd like to get some 128mb
> DIMMS to put in the beast or even 256mb.  512mb DIMMs would be good
> but I very much doubt I could get any let alone afford them.  Any
> ideas?

I bought 256mb of PC133 memory a couple of weeks ago for approx 30 quid
from http://www.cranemicro.co.uk . Is this cheap enough?

David.

--
David Goodwin