[Wolves] Memory identification..

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 11:49:12 BST 2005

On 29/09/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
> > Is there a program that I can run in Linux (SuSE, Ubuntu/Kubuntu or
> > Vector) that will give me a run down in specification of the memory
> > installed in a PC.  I sorted some bits out last night and am now at
> > the heady heights of 132mb of RAM in the old, old PC that I've
> > resurrected.
>

> I don't think Linux gets to know much about the specification of the
> memory itself. I'm not sure if any O/S does (apart from how much of it
> there is)
>
>   But I would like to know whether I've mixed PC66, PC100
> > and PC133.  It's quite possible that I have as there are now two
> > different sizes of DIMM with a matched pair (16mb each) of SIMMs.
> >
> > Secondly...is there anywhere that I can get cheap old DIMMS (PC 100 or
> > better still PC133) of reasonable size?  I'd like to get some 128mb
> > DIMMS to put in the beast or even 256mb.  512mb DIMMs would be good
> > but I very much doubt I could get any let alone afford them.  Any
> > ideas?
>
> I bought 256mb of PC133 memory a couple of weeks ago for approx 30 quid
> from http://www.cranemicro.co.uk . Is this cheap enough?
>
> David.

Cheers David.  I will check out Crane later on.  The sort of program
I'm looking for is something like SiSoft which runs in (all) Windows
and gives a run down on nearly everything installed.  Very, very
useful bit of kit as it can tell you stuff that is not printed on the
board.  I've done all the usual searches on ID numbers etc but it
doesn't bring anything up.  I believe it's rare to actually find
anything on the various searches about numbers on RAM - could be wrong
of course but that's how it seems to me.

I'm restricted to 128mb sticks as a max on this board - updated the
BIOS as far as I could go.

My next job is attemtping to set up the old ISA soundcard...that'll be
fun as I'm not sure what it actually is so it may be a case of trying
different modules until one works :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street