[Wolves] Too many cooks

Dick Turpin highwayman.turpin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:44:58 BST 2005

Evening All

As usual I'm behind the times and have only just discovered the world of
Mambo, having immersed myself in this great idea for easy to manage web site
creation I found that a month ago Mambo underwent some changes.

Then there was a spin off called xoops, in effect its the same as Mambo but
with some small changes that allows itself to say its different. A few days
ago, after getting back from my holiday, there is a third offering, 'Joomla'
this is endemic of the Linux community.

I love Linux/Open Source its brilliant but this type of thing does the
community no good. I may be ignorant but I get the feeling that a group of
guys create something see a financial potential, fall out over it then split
up to do their own thing which leaves the end user stuffed.

Its the same with Distributions I like Red Hat and its derivatives, its the
old story 'You like what you used first' I started with RH9 and followed on
through to Fedora but look at the RH derivatives 'White Box', CentOS' etc
what is trying to be achieved? am I missing something? I don't think these
derivatives/clones are any better or give the end user any benefit seeing as
most of them use the updates released by the mainstream distributions. IMHO
they just make the person responsible feel more important so that they can
say "I did that".

True there is cross pollination ie CentOS possibly creates a better kernel so
Fedora adopts it but lets be honest its more likely to be the other way
around.

I'm sticking with Mambo as its quicker to master if you want something up and
running fast. I've change www.cannon-linux.co.uk to Mambo I still have lots
to do some of the links don't work but at least everything is manageable from
one admin panel, I will also be changing www.centrosales.co.uk (Works site)
to Mambo too I have one serious problem with that, the network card keeps
going to sleep it should have gone live Wednesday but until I sort this
problem out it will stay at srv1.centrosales.co.uk

(Drunken rant from the dark over) :)

--
Regards