[Wolves] Re: Sharing a printer without a computer

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 12:59:45 BST 2006

> >As an extra wrinkle...the printer does not have Linux drivers.
> >
> That isn't a wrinkle. That's a huge great gaping crevasse with visible
> stratification and lava at the bottom.

Thought it might be. :-)

> You might be better off using a
> micro or nano-itx machine as a rip for this, like they do with large
> format printers. It's not cheap though, especially because you will need
> a legitimate licence for windows on it.... although, thinking about it,
> win98 should be ok. You wouldn't *technically* be getting rid of the pc,
> but you would end up with a rip that is about 18cm x18cm, uses 30watts
> of electricity and has no moving parts.

TBH, that'd be fine; that's "a small box that plugs into the printer
and the network" just as requested. What's the absolute minimum spec I
could build such a machine, what bits would I need, and where would I
get them? I don't know much about this...

--
sil

<Cl0ckwork> i hate it when explorer crashes, losing my system tray,
and irc is minized to it
<slick> I hate when I kick a dog and then the owner see's me and I
have to kill him