[Wolves] MS tightens the screw

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:39:22 BST 2006

On 05/04/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Interesting article about how Microsoft does not want anyone to sell a
> PC without an operating system (specifically a Microsoft OS).
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39261437,00.htm
>
> ---<Quote>---
> "We want to urge all system builders - indeed, all Partners - not to supply
> naked PCs. It is a risk to your customers and a risk to your business - with
> specifically 5 percent fewer opportunities to market software and services,"
> wrote Alexander.
> ---<End Quote>---
>
> How on earth would it be a 'risk to your customers'?? That can be read two
> ways;
> 1. The seller:
> Won't have any customers after MS has destroyed your outlet.
>
> 2. The customer:
> We will somehow block your Internet access or failing that come round and beat
> you up.
>
> I am of the opinion we should all wait and see but then again we did that with
> Czechoslovakia and Poland and look what happened?
>
> --

This must surely break some law somewhere?  Or a trade agreement or
something similar?  It just is not right.  How can a monopolistic
company get away with this sort of overt coercion?
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay