[Wolves] MS tightens the screw

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 23:40:15 BST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 22:55, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:

> I don't really think they did.  Some news agencies are trying to spin it
> that way, but what Michala Alexander, Microsoft's head of anti-piracy,
> actually said was: "We want to urge all system builders ? indeed, all
> Partners ? not to supply naked PCs. It is a risk to your customers and a
> risk to your business ? with specifically 5 percent fewer opportunities
> to market software and services."

??? The above is an exact copy, with the section I reproduced in this thread
that I started.

I see no *Spin* here but a verbatim record of the statement made.

Microsoft have a history of exerting pressure on resellers and system builders
to only supply MS OS based machines, the threat of withdrawal of MS
authorised reseller status is very real and like it or not paramount to most
businesses it the IT market.

The MS stable of products are used by a huge proportion of UK businesses, for
most resellers it is prerequisite to hold an MS reseller status losing that
status can have a huge impact when competing for new business.

The word risk is a euphemism for behave or else.

The 5% fewer opportunities means 5% less for MS and they cant allow that
happen.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon