[Wolves] Linux sys admin learning.

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 17:04:35 BST 2006

--- chris procter <chris-procter at talk21.com> wrote:

> --- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have decided to further my knowledge of all
> things
> > linux sys admin
> > related this is my list to date please can you add
> > any you feel are
> > very important to Business that I can Learn freely
> > from the internet.

> Sys-admin means many different things and there is
> no
> single set of skills that covers all bases. So the
> answer is (as it always seems to be) "it depends"

> 7) Enough knowledge of
> Apache/mySQL/LDAP/DNS/Samba/NFS
> etc to know what they are and how they work, but
> without worrying about all the little details (as
> long
> as you know where to find that info when needed)
> 8) A very solid general knowledge of Linux to the
> level that if someone asks you about say RAID you
> can
> give them a decent answer even if you dont know the
> details (and again know where to find the details).

These 2 are pure gold.

Try setting up something real. Like a mail or web
server for morley.org (domain names can be bought for
as little as £2 without buying the hosting).

If your ISP allows you can host your own mail and web
server yourself on a broadband connection.

My web and mail are all hosted on spare machines at
work.

Theres nowt like getting your hands dirty for
learning.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk