[Wolves] Beeping Ubuntu

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 21:07:22 BST 2006

--- Mark Ellse <me at chaseacademy.com> wrote:

> My son's loves his Ubuntu machine, but recently it's
> started beeping at
> him (probably since upgrading to Dapper). So he gets
> repeated beeps from
> the system speaker (not the sound card speaker)
> when, for instance, the
> screen saver is on. These are a funny uncouth raspy
> sort of beep.

System > Preferences > Sound > System Beep and untick
Enable System Beep.

If this is seemingly random, ie not in response to
system or application events then it might be worth
looking into it a bit more. Looking at
/var/log/messages might be a good place to start. View
it either using

less /var/log/messages

on the command line (q to quit) or using the log
viewer available via System > Administration > System
Log and then choose the messages log file or use the
System Log application's Log menu item and choose Open
and then find the file /var/log/messages if it's not
already available.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk