[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Aug 15 12:08:28 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 11:57 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > The plethora you gave proves my point. All can be achieved from the one
> > release what you have demonstarted is the breadth of package choice which is
> > irrelevant in respect of 'why'.
> >

> Becuase under KDE, KDE apps integrate well, under GNOME, GNOME apps
> integrate well. So if you install kubuntu-desktop you get KDE, KDE Libs and
> all the apps that integrate well into KDE.

I think Peters point was (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that Debian
and SUSE manage to package both KDE and Gnome (and n other desktop
environments/window managers) into a single distribution. Why do we have
Ubuntu for Gnome and Kubuntu for KDE.

The answer here is IMO that Canonical did the right thing by
concentrating on a smaller set of packages than Debian for their initial
release. They only included Gnome in the main release as it's a small
set of goals to complete.

There is a lot of merit in this approach but it does mean you are
excluding people who want to use alternative environments.

Canonical also mastered the art of community building and they now have
a vibrant set of derivatives offering the alternatives.

~sm