[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 15 12:30:05 BST 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:08:35PM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 11:57 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > > The plethora you gave proves my point. All can be achieved from the one
> > > release what you have demonstarted is the breadth of package choice which is
> > > irrelevant in respect of 'why'.
> > >

> > Becuase under KDE, KDE apps integrate well, under GNOME, GNOME apps
> > integrate well. So if you install kubuntu-desktop you get KDE, KDE Libs and
> > all the apps that integrate well into KDE.
>
> I think Peters point was (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that Debian
> and SUSE manage to package both KDE and Gnome (and n other desktop
> environments/window managers) into a single distribution. Why do we have
> Ubuntu for Gnome and Kubuntu for KDE.

Yeah,I appreciate that, the fact is though that they are the same under the
bonnet. It's only really from the DE upwards that they differ.

> The answer here is IMO that Canonical did the right thing by
> concentrating on a smaller set of packages than Debian for their initial
> release. They only included Gnome in the main release as it's a small
> set of goals to complete.

Indeed, I understand the history of Ubuntu and where the "other" flavours
came from. I just don't see why it's a problem. I suspect you wouldn't be
able to fit Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu and the necessary live environment on one
CD for a start!

It certainly makes life a lot easier to support a new user if you separate
out the ubuntu from the kubuntu users. Whilst as I said they're the same
underneath, and from a technical perspective they're much the same to
support, the user/computer interface is dramatically different. Terms are
different, desktop applications differ and therefore application support
needs to be tailored.

> There is a lot of merit in this approach but it does mean you are
> excluding people who want to use alternative environments.

Excluding them from what?. You can apt-get kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop
or even fluxbox, blackbox or whatever you like.

> Canonical also mastered the art of community building and they now have
> a vibrant set of derivatives offering the alternatives.

Yeah, totally.

Cheers,
Al.