[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 15:08:49 BST 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 14:48, Alan Pope wrote:

> I never said that. I was merely pointing out that if Ubuntu strives for its
> ideals which appear to include being accessible to many people no matter
> what their hardware then making it available on one cd, not a dvd, and not
> lots of CDs helps to attain that goal.

OK, that's a V good point some poor sod in umduganoonoo land probably doesn't
had DVD.

> Complexity. The live CD boots to a desktop that Joe-Idiot-User can quickly
> and easily be "used" or "installed". How would that be easy to do with the
> distro spread over a number of CDs.

I keep tripping up over this live CD, I was gonna say SuSE did one that gave
you the choice of booting into either KDE or Gnome but then I remembered it
was a DVD.

> I wasn't going to say cost, but now you come to mention it AIUI the shipit
> system is one of the single biggest costs Canonical have!

How much doe's a CD weigh? minuscule I'd have thought

> But look at the facts. A user can try Ubuntu out from *one* convenient CD
> sent to them for free in the post. If they like it they can go through the
> easy graphical setup procedure and get pretty much the same content as the
> Live CD installed in under an hour.

Oh yeah its my recommendation of choice for beginners it used to be Mandriva
but I agree Ubuntu blows that out the water when it comes to ease of use.

> Can you do that on any PC if it was a) a DVD, b) spread over a number of
> CDs?

Hm there lies the problem I'm thinking in terms of Installation and use in
respect of Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc while quite rightly your pointing out the
limiting factor of the Live CD

--
Regards
Peter Cannon