[Wolves] Ubuntu 6.06 LTS help needed

Simon Fielding simonw_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 15:50:00 GMT 2006

I'm about to try and setup several machines at work to
dualboot Linux and XP as there is now longer term
support available for Ubuntu.  For political reasons,
neither putting GRUB in the MBR not putting linux on
the first disk are options.  This means that I need to
use the alt install CD to build these machines.
However, the second disks on these machines are
connected via a IT8212 IDE controller and the driver
module is not part of the initrd image on the alt CD.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go
about building either a new initrd or a modified
install CD which would do the job?  The whole project
is only likely to be tolerated if there is minimal
impact from the install process so I may have to build
the images on a machine other than the ones with the
8212 controllers (ie at home) to make this work.

Regards,
Simon Fielding