[Wolves] Mail provider recommendations?

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Sat Dec 30 23:06:01 GMT 2006

--- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:

> Peter Oliver wrote:
> > I have a Freeserve account that I just use for my
> email.  I've had it
> > since back when a free POP account was uncommon.
> It turns out that the
> > mailbox has a maximum capacity of 1000 items.  I
> now receive several
> > hundred spams per day (and the volume is only
> going to go up), so this
> > is becoming an issue.
> >
> > I really don't want to change email address, so I
> need a reliable way of
> > pulling down this mail on a regular basis.  I
> don't want to depend on
> > something running at home because if, for example,
> my cable modem breaks
> > and it takes them a week to send me a new one I'm
> stuffed.
> >
> > Freeserve have no facility for forwarding the mail
> to a different
> > address. I have a Gmail account, but it cannot
> pick up mail from a POP
> > mailbox.
> >
> > Anyone got any recommendations for solutions?
> >

> fetchmail every 5/10/15 minutes?

Fetchmail from two different locations, one at home
and a bytemark vm say, both forwarding to the same
(gmail) address using cronjobs at timings offset so
they dont fight (say one on the hour, the other at
half past). Then if you lose either machine the other
will take the strain and continue forwarding you
mails.

Of course this means you need two separate machines on
two separate internet connections so there's no single
point of failure and if you lose both machines you're
still stuffed (although you can add extra machines at
different timings if you're paranoid/rich).

chris