[Wolves] Mail provider recommendations?

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sat Dec 30 23:54:05 GMT 2006

On Sat, December 30, 2006 8:11 pm, Peter Oliver wrote:
> I have a Freeserve account that I just use for my email.  I've had it
> since back when a free POP account was uncommon.

> I really don't want to change email address, so I need a reliable way of
> pulling down this mail on a regular basis.  I don't want to depend on
> something running at home because if, for example, my cable modem breaks
> and it takes them a week to send me a new one I'm stuffed.

I know you don't want to change your email address, others have already
suggested workable 'fixes'. But your current situation requires you
forever use Freeserve as your ISP or rely on them to provide free third
party POP3 access.

Frankly I advise you to take the one time hit & change your email address.
Notify who you wish to and change your website registrations, whilst you
still have the Freeserve address to catch stragglers.

You're then free to use your gmail account or any other provider. You can
have a vanity domain, should you wish your email address to be both
permanent and supplier independent.

For recommendations: I'm on dreamhost.com and fairly happy, I've heard god
things said about fastmail.

In the general case, it would be nice if every email provider had a
forward and notify service. Like that of Royal Mail.

Alex

Alex