[Wolves] Your voice counts

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 05:25:23 GMT 2006

Peter Cannon wrote:

>Linux is just as prone to crashing as anything else code is code is code the
>difference is good or bad code. I had three separate crashes last week two on
>my Fedora and one on SuSE so I think the crashing argument needs to slink off
>and hide in the cupboard where it should have stayed its not a valid
>argument.

That isn't quite true Pete. The architecture of an OS should protect the
good code from the bad code. The design of Unix systems with a small
kernel and software layered on top is inherently safer than a monolythic
system like Windows.

I don't think I've had 3 real crashes in the whole time I've used Linux.
X used to hang in the old days and I didn't know what to do about it but
that should have been recoverable. Do you use some unusual hardware with
drivers that haven't been thouroughly tested or mix libraries from
different repositories?

Woo