[Wolves] samba help

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:10:11 GMT 2006

On 16/02/06, Baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Did you check smbd was running OK? And that you don't have IPTables
> > blocking the connection attempts from the Mac?
> >
> > Also you be aware that you need to define a separate SMB password from
> > your UNIX password.
> >
> > smbpasswd -a baza
> >
> > will create you a password that can be used to logon to your SMB
> > daemon. The default smb.conf file should allow you access to your home
> > directory.
> >
> > Do you see much activity in /var/log/(smb|samba)/smb.log ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
>

> How do I check for IP tables? Samba is running, and I've set a
> smbuser password.

It sounds like you have the samba 'client' running which allows you to
see other computers and the various activities it allows.  However, to
allow you Mac to see the Ubuntu box you need to have the sambe
'server' working on the Ubuntu machine.  I'm sorry I don't know how to
enable it in Ubuntu but there will be instructions on the home page
and a lot of useful stuff in the forums.

HTH :-)
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay