[Wolves] What have I done?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 09:35:58 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 22:15, James Turner wrote:

--<cut>--

> I suspect the /boot/boot folder and subfolders may be an artifact of
> incorrect GRUB reinstallation, either manually or by some kind of automated
> config tool that's gone awry. What's in it other than nested /boot
> directories?

My thoughts too, all thats in it is /boot /grub if you click/access /boot you
get the same again and again and again, sort of ghost files for ever and ever
amen.

I moved them all last night (prior to seeing your mail) did a re-install of
grub. No Good :(

--<cut but printed off for later use>--

> On Monday 27 February 2006 19:17, David Cockayne wrote:
> I've had a similar problem a couple of times, once was because i'd
> enabled boot area protection on a new mobo then forgot...

Aha, I've done the same, will change that then although SuSE offers that as a
default option seeing as it worked before I wonder why it wont work now?.

> The second was updating a suse install, with grub on a seperate windows
> HDD. I disabled boot any devices, booting of 2nd (linux) hdd in the bios
> and it started working again.

Not sure if this is BIOS related as all I have done is swapped the original
40GB for a 200GB which the system already knew about and worked.

Admittedly I have moved the 200GB from slave IDE to Master IDE but that
shouldn't be a problem.

Found out why the SuSE DVD install & repair was running slow, I disconnected
my two USB HDD's and the thing fly's so one USB HDD was causing the problem
(Didn't before by the way).

> I think I ended up with 2 grubs installed as a result of the update and
> nasty things happened, making sure only one hdd was allowed to boot
> sorted it out.

How? its worth it as the list is archived so some poor sole might be grateful
later on.

I have a minimalist looking grub that has Windows and Floppy. The Windows
option will, now, let me boot into Windows.

I'm taking Thursday and Friday off to get it sorted I think I need to strip
everything down and start again. :(

--
Regards
Peter Cannon