[Wolves] I saw this and it started me wondering

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:53:53 GMT 2006

On 28/02/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 15:52, David Morley wrote:
>
> > I know a lot of people use Ubuntu but I was surprised at how few used Fedora
> > and how many used Debian and Suse.
>
> You're goading me arn't you? ;)
>
> If you mean "few Fedora users" in respect of this list then yes we are in a
> minority however if you mean in the grand scheme of things then thats just
> not true.

Well... I'm not trying to goad you but....

IMO Fedora has lost a *lot* of mind share since they (RH) dropped the
Red Hat name and switched to FC.

I was surprised at the small percentage Red Hats enterprise line of
products got but not at all at the size of the FC userbase (according
to that report)

I think FC has swung too far into the realms of technology playground
and too far from the realm of stable code for users to actually use.

My distros of choice are....

 * Contractually OpenSUSE on the laptop, SLES on the server

 * Personally I prefer Debian for the good work they do and the sheer
range of packages available (3rd party RPMS/debs pave the road to
HELL! (dependancy hell that is... ))

 * I can see the value in Ubuntu, especially the work they have done
in increasing the number of people coming into the community so I
can't knock them for that. I still have some reservations about the
project and time will tell. It is a good distro.

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org