[Wolves] XFree86 3.3.6

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 12:47:12 GMT 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 19:43, Stephen Parkes wrote:

> why so old?  you can run modern linux distro's on a 386 as long as you
> can live without mozilla

I loaded FC1 on it once but it run like a dog its only a P70 (I think) with
40MB memory.

> pine is non-free (or at least was) in the debian sense so alternatives
> are offered.  This is also where nano comes from which was started as
> a replacement for pico the pine editor.

Yeah I saw nano but in my ignorance I thought it was just a text editor and I
prefer VI for that.

> I haven't used netrik but like most old timers the web was textual
> when i started using it so i have a soft spot for lynx.  The current
> best of breed text mode browser is links2 IMHO and I often use it with
> a well configured SVGATextMode or FB console it's killer and with the
> -g switch is graphical too.
>
> I did a little work on a text browser last week and did some html
> rendering in curses.  I do some strange things when I am bored ;-)

Soft as it sounds I was looking through my RH Bible at all the text based apps
(web ones at any rate) it said that w3m was the most popular for text based
web browsing as it supported frames.

The only reason I fancied pine was because it supported folders which would be
nice.

I like slpim very easy to use text based PIM opens up a complete new
experience doing stuff without GUI.  :)

--
Peter Cannon
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
www.cannon-linux.co.uk

"If god had meant us to fly he'd have given us wings"