[Wolves] I hate Windows, and thanks for all the help

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Sun Jan 8 00:49:48 GMT 2006

Dear All,

A somewhat frustrating day with an encouraging finish.

Andrew, many thanks for your very helpful comments. Hitachi DFT found
out the fault in my disk drive - apparently has experienced excessive
shock. Forcing Norton Ghost to copy the bad sectors resulted in a
working clone which runs like a dream. Presumably my old HD was
struggling all the time to overcome internal problems. I wondered why my
computer had been going so slow.

I couldn't reset the paging file in safe mode with my backup disk, but
did find out (from the Microsoft site, believe it or not) that
fdisk /mbr will reset the mbr and windows can self-correct that fault
(but apparently not self-correct the absence of a paging file!!!)

Frustrations: the DFT program seemed to be very hardware sensitive.
Crashed on my own computer, not liking detecting my CD-ROM on drive 1
secondary. As you can imagine, it took ages to realise that this was the
fault.

But thanks again, all.

Mark