[Wolves] ubuntu 5.10 installation error

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 14:38:02 GMT 2006

--- alex yan <yongnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> finally, a SUSE 10 OSS version linux has been
> installed into the old laptop.
> But the speed of the GNOME GUI system is too slow.

This is probably due to the amount of memory you have.
192MB is about the minumum you can get away with for a
fully featured desktop environment like Gnome of KDE
these days.

I would have suggested Xubunutu which has the less
resource hungry XFCE as the desktop environment, but
you said you had trouble with Ubuntu.

Try using XFCE under OpenSuSE. That means you will
have to install it using the SuSE package installer in
YaST I believe and probably finding the setting which
lets you choose which desktop environment to log in to
- it might be on the login screen, it might not.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.adamsweet.org