[Wolves] hosting domains on a home server

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Fri Jan 13 08:11:46 GMT 2006

> Is it possible to host more than one domain on a home web server if you
> use a redirect service such as noip.com?
>
> Am I right in thinking it would not work because you only have one ip
> address for your server therefore only one domain name can, 'live' there?

Hi,

Assuming you mean a domain like http://www.foo.com and
http://www.bar.com; there is no limit (that I'm aware of) to the number
of such domains you can host on a single IP address.

Any number of DNS names can resolve to the same IP address; and the HTTP
1.1 protocol (used since 1990something) specifies that the browser
request specifies which hostname it is talking to, along the lines of :

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.foo.com

SMTP is another service that springs to mind which can have multiple
domains on one host; I can't think of any others right now.... (perhaps
it's too early in the morning).

Thanks,

David.

--