[Wolves] Software RAID

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 14:29:45 GMT 2006

Hi all

Does anyone here have experience of software RAID? I
have a machine I would like to RAID, but the onboard
SATA RAID controller isn't suported by Linux so I
would like to try software RAID.

I would like to know what the performance is like and
how easy it is to rebuild an array after a disk
replacement.

I am also interested to know whether you can RAID the
whole disk including the boot partition etc, so that
in the event of a disk failure you can simply replace
a disk, reboot and the rebuild the array or whether
you just get to keep the data on the mirrored disk and
then have to reinstall on the new disk to boot to a
poitn where you can rebuild the array.

Apologies if this is either obvious or an rtfm, none
of the tutorials I am reading at the mo seem to
explain this part. To me you need a booted kernel
before you can have software RAID, so therefore you
can't RAID your /boot partition. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding.

Any explanations or pointers to tutorials which tell
me what I want to hear will be gratefully received.
Sadly Ron's RAID talk was too long ago for me to
remember (Jan 2002?).

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk