[Wolves] Yeah got on the open advantage Linux admin course.

Kev Adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 13:01:45 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 09:34, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > No chance, I'll have to book two days leave.
> >
> > I tried to get them to pay for me to go on the Red Hat course, I
> > explained that in the long run it would cost them nothing as you can
> > claim training back from business tax.
> >
> > All I got was "Why, are you planning on getting a sysadmin job"? with P45
> > looming I beat a hasty retreat.
> > (I know the list is archived)

Very short sighted of them - surely it pays to keep staff happy & update
 their skills.  From what I've read on the list you ARE a sysadmin aren't
 you? Certainly seem to have enough systems that you're administering :~)

> > Anyway, where you been? I thought you was in hiding or something? failing
> > that was you spending a year dead for tax perposes? :P

No wish I needed to - business ain't that good Ha!

> It states in employment law that employees are entitled to go on
> training courses funded by the firm.  I don't know the up to date
> legislation but it was pretty good when I was doing my union bit back
> in the late 1990's.  It will have improved to greater extent by now.
> Of course, employers will still make it difficult for people, which is
> totally wrong.

Sure if you get a reputation for going against company policy you're probably
not going to last too long :-(