[Wolves] Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 issue?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 22:32:44 BST 2006

On 01/07/06, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What I want to know is this, has anybody else had a
> > similar problem?
> > I also had resolution changing problems in Xubuntu
> > 6.06 in that it
> > simply will not change the resolution.  Xubuntu is
> > unusable on this PC
> > because of this.
>
> No problems here. Can change res at will. A friend of
> mine is running Xubuntu and he also can change between
> 1024x768 and 800x600 at will.
>
> If you feel comfortable, log into the command line,
> use sudo to install mc (Midnight Commander - a dialog
> based file manager) and do:
>
> sudo mc
>
> Then use Midnight Commander to take yourself to
> /var/log and look at your Xorg.log files to see if you
> can see any errors. Also look at your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to see if the settings are
> reasonable.
>
> Midnight Commander makes life easier on the command
> line if you're not comfortable there. Use F3 to view
> files and F4 to edit.
>
> Ad
>
> --
>
> http://www.drinky.org.uk
>
> http://blog.adamsweet.org

I'm getting comfier with the CLI nowadays.  But, I confess I have
wussed out and done a reinstall.  I then went into the system config
(GUI) and this time checked out the graphics card first.  It seems
that Kubuntu (I don't know about Ubuntu but I suspect it will be the
same) sets up my venerable old Nvidia as a generic VGA card.  Perhpas
it's me but I'm used to having it set up at least a a dummy nv card
with the associated allowed resolutions.  Anyway, I ticked all the
boxes etc and set that up.  Not with the Nvidia driver from Nvidia
themselves but the one that is with Kubuntu (probably a dummy).  I
then gingerly changed the resolution and this time it worked :-)))
yippee.....

Now, I need to sort out another drive and get Xubuntu done the same.

Erm, how I do allow root log in from the graphical log in on Kubuntu?
The same option does not seem to be there that is with Ubuntu :-(

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire