[Wolves] Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 issue?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 11:46:28 BST 2006

On 01/07/06, Shane M. Coughlan <shane at shaneland.co.uk> wrote:

> Adam Sweet wrote:
> > --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What I want to know is this, has anybody else had a
> >> similar problem?
> >> I also had resolution changing problems in Xubuntu
> >> 6.06 in that it
> >> simply will not change the resolution.  Xubuntu is
> >> unusable on this PC
> >> because of this.
> >
> > No problems here. Can change res at will. A friend of
> > mine is running Xubuntu and he also can change between
> > 1024x768 and 800x600 at will.
>
> Hi there.  I just checked out the etc/X11/xorg.conf file on my mail
> laptop.  It only lists values for 1024x768 for my display.  Windows will
> scale my display to 800x600 without a bother.  I guess Adam's
> right...the configuration on Ubuntu is making guesses that don't
> actually match what your system is capable (or not capable) of.
>
> I suggest filing a bug.
>
> Shane

I'm guessing that it happened because my graphics card was not
detected correctly automatically.  This does bother me at this point
in time where Linux distro's are concerned.  Yes, I can go into a CLI
and edit the x configuration files by hand.  I shouldn't really have
to with a distro that is meant to be easy and is squarely aimed at
enticing MS users into using Linux.  The card is not a weird and niche
card at all.  It's an old but very common Nvidia MX4000 128mb card.

Maybe I'm just used to other distros finding and setting it up
properly automatically?

I also found an annoyance yesterday.  It seems that I am not allowed
to change a desktop icon in my own space/login... unless I do it via
root/su.  Just seemed odd to me as I wanted to change the Firefox icon
to the Fox wrapped around the world from the plain world icon.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire