[Wolves] Wolverhampton Visit

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Mon Jul 3 22:03:57 BST 2006

On 3 Jul 2006, at 21:44, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
> Simon Morris wrote:
>> So there is a huge multiplayer network for flight sim fans? Where are
>> the details of this?

There are three major networks: VATSIM, IVAO and FPI. I use VATSIM,
as the community is far more friendly in the UK, and they
occasionally have weekends away in Paignton where beer floweth ;)

> I've very interested in this as well.  I'm curious about how
> Virtual ATC
> works with regards realistic flight patterns, random events etc.

VATSIM has a policy of ultimate realism, so you can take off from
somewhere like East Midlands and either go VFR, and follow
photographic scenery (we have fly-ins at minor airfields like Sywell
often) or you can fly IFR with ATC non-stop from say East Midlands to
Edinburgh, Heathrow, Amsterdam-Schipol, where ever you would like.

If you hadn't guessed, I run East Midlands Approach, and mentor
people on East Midlands Tower/Ground. I'll have to show some folks
some time - it's just a shame that the ATC clients (ASRC and VRC)
only run in Windows, although if you have X-Plane, that works in
Linux, OSX and Windows.

Hope that provides some info, if you're at LRL, I'll have to have a
little demo ;)

Matthew Walster