[Wolves] Ubuntu Live CD fails to boot

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jul 6 09:33:31 BST 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:14:18AM +0100, Matthew Revell wrote:
> I think the DVD drive is shot. It seems to be getting so hot that it
> corrupts CD-Rs. I've been using the alternative install disc, as the
> live CD isn't that quick with RAM of 256 MB and below.

Sounds like a hardware issue. If you have tried muliple CDs which originated
from different drives I'd definately blame the hardware.

Unless of course you're being a numpty and not telling the machine to boot
from the CDROM drive ;)

> So, Mr Morley kindly lent me a pressed Ubuntu Live/Install CD. It
> doesn't boot. It's clean, etc. I wonder if it's because the CD is both
> bootable to install Linux but also has some Windows AutoRun stuff to
> let you install Firefox etc. My drive seems a bit screwed, what with
> it corrupting CD-Rs, so I wonder if this is linked.

No. The Windows Autorun feature won't mess with the Ubuntu SYSLINUX boot
process *at* *all*. This is a poisson rouge.

> Anyone have any ideas on this?

Call IBM, tell then the drive is knackered and to send you another one.

> BTW - yeah, I'm taking the ThinkPad back to Staples on Saturday :)

Or do that :)

Cheers,
Al.