[Wolves] SuSE patch management?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 17:13:39 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 16:46, Simon Morris wrote:

> Because there is a lot of duplication and confusion as to which widget
> does what.

???

> You have "Online Update Setup" and "Online Update Configuration" which
> do separate things... Why can't it be as easy as "apt-get update;
> apt-get upgrade" :-)

I think I see what you are driving at, easiest way is to click on the
(Hopefully) red, yellow or green globe that should open the updater give root
password click next it will then present you with security updates.

If you look there are tick boxes for removing source files after installation
and configuring fully automated updates.

With regards Yast to me its pretty straight forward and is reminiscent of
Synaptic. I think you just need to adopt the rule I use, Yast-->Software
management is for adding/removing YOU is for updating.

I intend to take the plunge and install 10.1 tonight or this week I cant make
up my mind which would be better an upgrade or install from fresh. Fresh
would be better but then its the pain of putting stuff back.

10.1 has a much better updater than 10.0 (GUI wise) when I've upgraded I'll be
in a better position to comment.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon