[Wolves] So who was it said SuSE 10.1 was crap?

dave hands daveh at bvsc.org
Thu Jul 13 12:46:51 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 11:47 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 10:54, Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > So, do you want salt and vinegar with that hat ;-)))))
>
> Hm, not really I stand my decision to wait umpteen days for most of the fixes
> to come out.
>
> I'm not 100% certain YOU is working properly, the new update GUI thingy
> says "No updates" but if I go into Yast-->Online Update there is a big list
> of availables some ticked, some not, some black, some red.
>
> I'll work with it until the weekend and see how I go. Like most upgrades/new
> releases the box should really say "Nothing new here mate" (Except Xgl or
> whatever the 3D cube desktop is called).
>
> "What? me? cynical?"

There a known bug within the updater in SuSE 10.1 - I came across the
situation where the updater in the tray, once I went through the Online
Update Configuration in YAST which is necessary or YOU reports no
updates available (which took absolutely ages to connect to the server
etc) that it reported that one of the updates would invalidate itself
(or something along those lines (apologies for not being more precise).
Seeing as how it was a boxed/bought SuSE 10.1 I mailed them, logged a
Support Issue and got sent the following link.
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ZEN-Update_System_problem_in_10.1
Basically, choose a different update source and then run YOU twice.

10.1 is lovely, by far the best thing I've used from SuSE. We have a
bunch of Viglen Futura M200 laptops at work and 10.1 makes them sing
like no other distro.

regards

Dave Hands

http://www.star.net.uk