[Wolves] Simon Morris is a Star

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Jul 19 16:29:31 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:40 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:

> The Witchcraft skills he used left me and my victim speechless, he
> used some
> sort of reverse ssh. (its all smoke and mirrors to me) Simon whizzed
> round
> the Server quicker than a ferret up a trouser leg it was a beauty to
> behold.

Cheers Pete,

That Reverse SSH connection trick is a life-saver - I'm going to write
it up on my blog tonight.

It means you can get a SSH shell on a server that is behind a firewall
and has no firewall access on any port. Very nifty and it's another
thing that SSH can do in the background. Sysadmins utility knife type
thing.

> He managed to get it 99.9% up and running there are no errors in any
> logs but
> unfortunately no site is displayed all we get is a page displaying
> this: "application error (rails)"

Yep - we nearly got there.

Peter got bitten by a fairly uninspiring Apache upgrade procedure in
Fedora Core 5. It seemed to completely ignore his pre-existing Apache
setup and generate a new httpd.conf file which isn't very kind.

Once Apache was up and running Ruby wouldn't run due to a lack of
backwards compatibility between 1.8.2 and 1.8.4 which is just dumb. Code
shouldn't break between such small revisions of a language. Python has
also been known to break on occasion so these Perl oddballs might be
onto something.

Basically - he was very unlucky :(

~sm