[Wolves] LRL2006 - thankyou, thankyou, thankyou & a pitch

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jul 24 11:04:07 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:10:32AM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> Or, maybe just get onto the BBC and ask why their news program titled
> 'Click!' is Microsoft oriented?  They very, very rarely feature open
> source and Linux.......well.......you can guess the rest.

Indeed, that programmes has managed to raise my annoyance level dramatically
over the years. Part of the problem is that it's aimed (IMO) at businessmen
in hotels who watch BBC WorldWide (outside the UK) and BBC News 24 (when in
the UK) whilst away from home to catch up. They clearly dumb stuff down for
the non-techies and really only feature Windows based stuff because (rightly
or wrongly) that's what the corporates use.

They had an segment a while ago about 64-bit computing and said that 64-bit
Windows was now out and that 64-bit computing was now available for the
masses.

A few people wrote in to complain that it was only available with a new PC
(i.e. you can't buy a boxed non-OEM copy of 64-bit windows), and Linux (and
other operating systems) have had 64-bit computing available for some
considerable time. The presenter completely weasled out of answering the
point properly and just shrugged of Linux.

Cheers,
Al.