[Wolves] mail server hosts

Rob Annable rob at annable.co.uk
Thu Jun 1 22:01:44 BST 2006

On 01/06/06, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > This looks interesting:
> >
> > http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/email/
> >
> > I'd appreciate any comments anyone has about services like this.
>
> Do you know, I've occasionally wondered about using gmail for this.
> You create one gmail account, workemail at gmail.com, and all email to
> workemail+anythingyoulike at gmail.com goes into that account. You then
> set up your domain to do mail forwarding with someone like ZoneEdit or
> whoever your domain registrar is, so foobar at robswork.com forwards to
> workemail+foobar at gmail.com, and then fetch all the mail out of gmail
> into one internal mail server and split it back up again into separate
> mailboxes. Or were you thinking of not having an internal mail server
> at all?

Nice. This is exactly the sort of hack I'm tempted by, but part of
reasoning is that I need to ship some responsibility to someone else.
We just lost the only other member of staff with any IT
skills/interest and I'm the only one left. If I'm on holiday or off
sick and things go tits up the office is screwed. Having some other
monkey on the end of a phone or e-mail would be useful.

Besides, building stuff and trying to be a wannabe geek at the same
time is tricky.

Rob