[Wolves] Question 1st, Rant 2nd

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 22:36:22 BST 2006

--- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 June 2006 12:43, David Morley wrote:
>
> > have a look under system/help if you see ubuntu
> book excerpt then you
> > have dapper.
>
> Ubuntu book excerpt? hm, OK, I've switched it off
> for a bit will let you know
> later.

System > About Ubuntu. I was going to tell you to cat
/etc/ubuntu_version or something similar but I only
have an /etc/debian_version which says
testing/unstable.

To upgrade, run the following command:

gksudo update-manager -d

and click upgrade on the following window after
supplying your user password.

A straight install is cleaner however. For example,
xchat broke and I still had gstreamer 0.8 install when
the rest of the system uses 0.10 as in both cases, the
packages are now organised differently. With
gstreamer-0.8 you had different individual plugins
(libgstreamer-0.8-mad anyone?), now you have good, bad
and ugly. There was no clear (to an installer) upgrade
path from libgstreamer-0.8-mad, so it was left
installed. Xchat was left behind but not working and I
manually installed the new xchat packages myself,
again due to the renaming of packages and their
organisation. I went through all of my packages
removing the cruft and I'm sure you don't want to do
that.

Also, I think my upgrade download totalled about 1GB
(I have a lot sof stuff installed on this well
travelled PC), whereas the new is about 600MB, so it
depends on how much stuff you want to hang on to.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.adamsweet.org