Fwd: Re: [Wolves] Question 1st, Rant 2nd

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Jun 16 07:07:49 BST 2006

> Subject: Re: [Wolves] Question 1st, Rant 2nd
> Date: Thursday 15 June 2006 22:36
> From: Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com>
> To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> System > About Ubuntu. I was going to tell you to cat
> /etc/ubuntu_version or something similar but I only
> have an /etc/debian_version which says
> testing/unstable.
>
>To upgrade, run the following command:

> gksudo update-manager -d

May sound dim but I edited the sources.list apart from the title (Which may
not matter) then did sudo apt-get -dist-upgrade as the sources.list is still
titled Breezy it threw me for a bit, so whats this gksudo? thats a new one on
me.

> A straight install is cleaner however.

Yeah I suppose I ought to download it or order it one of the two mind you as I
have the breezy cd its just as quick to upgrade that.

> Also, I think my upgrade download totalled about 1GB
> (I have a lot sof stuff installed on this well
> travelled PC), whereas the new is about 600MB, so it
> depends on how much stuff you want to hang on to.

To be honest its more a backup system than anything else by that I mean
something to use quickly and instead of my two main systems. I'm really
trying hard not to use it too much as I too could get hooked on Ubuntu.

As I've said before I've changed my mind about Ubuntu but I just don't have
the time to learn all the ins and outs of my two main systems let alone a
whole new one.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon