[Wolves] Samba login

Peter Hartill peter at hartec.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 17:04:30 BST 2006

Hi

I did a new clean install of Ubuntu Server dapper (6.06) ok on an AMD 1Gig pc, updated it and it generally seems to work.  I can access it remotely using Putty etc over my simple LAN (no Domain, but Workgroup).  Then I installed Samba, set up smb.config, shared folders, users, passwords etc and tried to access the server from XP SP2 workstations.  But I can't logon from the workstations.  I can see the server icon, then double click and get the logon box.  I enter the username and password, but all that happens is the login box user name changes to "xxx\username" and I can't get any further ("xxx" = name of the workstation).

I've seen one or 2 other complaints of the same behaviour on websites, but no solution.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Peter