[Wolves] Samba login

Peter Hartill peter at hartec.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 00:48:13 BST 2006

Andy Thanks for the reply.  Partial success as follows:

> Have you done "smbpasswd -a youruser" as root on the samba server?
  Yes - already done that.
> Is there anything useful in the /var/log/samba/smbd.<client ip>
> file?
  Nothing useful.

But - if I remove the following 2 lines from the Authentication section of smb.conf, it does work, but of course with no login required.

security = user
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

These 2 lines I added are from the help stuff in http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_Samba_Server_for_files.2Ffolders_sharing_service ,

So it's something to do with the Authentication set up.  Eventually I want to use Ubuntu to replace an aged Novell server, so the logins will be essential.

Cheers

Peter