[Wolves] Problem on Windows 2000 machine

Daniel Jones djones9960 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 13:57:58 BST 2006

On 19/06/06, Mark Ellse <me at chaseacademy.com> wrote:
> Now I know that this User Group houses loads of Windows experts, and I'd
> be grateful to pick your brains - again.
>
> I did the latest Windows 2000 security updates over the weekend,
> rebooted the machines and let the staff log on again. Most of the
> machines worked fine. But one behaves as though the user is a completely
> new one, with nothing in My Documents etc. Fortunately we have a backup,
> but this means reinstating Outlook, etc.
>
> In addition, for some reason, it doesn't think that this user is an
> administrator (which it was) and refuses to accept the password for any
> other administrators.

As I see it this is your main problem.  Without having Administrator
access you're not going to be able to do a great deal.

It sounds like something's borked whatever it is on 2k which sorts out
your users/passwords and whatnot.  (Technical terminology ;) )

Luckily, however:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/  (*)

...will reset your Administrator password and let you back in(as well
as bringing this back on-topic; it's a Linux bootdisk).

(*)  Note though if you're using EFS it won't work.

HTH
--
Dan