[Wolves] Bringing advanced Free (as in Freedom) technology to Windows platforms

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 05:10:09 BST 2006

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Saturday 17 June 2006 22:01, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
>> This makes sense.  If your ISP is different to your work network
>> provider that can mean a refusal to allow access to SMTP.
>
> So how come with exactly the same settings on my Fedora laptop using KMail
> email works?

OK, this is strange voodoo and has me confused.  I have no idea why you
are having a problem.  I confess that I usually use my server SMTP
rather than ISP SMTP, and that means that my mail tends to work wherever
I am.  I'm not really an expert in debugging these things (hangs head in
shame).

>> Nope.  I hate it when people answer questions and suggestions with "why
>> don't YOU build it?"
>
> I don't remember saying "Why don't you build it" any any shape or form I do
> remember giving some suggestions as to how it might work of which I was fully
> expecting to be told "It cant do it that way because......... you twonk"

I was actually referring to situations when you contact the guys running
a project and ask for a fix to a problem...and get the reply "fix it?
FIX IT?  We're BUSY!  YOU FIX IT!"

I think every Free Software project should try to deal with issues.  If
you say "I want the Mobility Email client to access Webmail in an easier
way" I think I should say "we are/will/have already looked into the
matter."  Ultimately I might say "it can't be done that way
because....you twonk," but first I should look :)

>> I guess what could be done is to have a little script that would be
>> double-click on a Linux machine.  If someone had WINE it would call that
>> and launch Mobility Email, and if someone did not have WINE it would
>> apologize and tell them to install it.
>
> Yeah that would work but the purists wouldn't like it.

True.  But then again we can't please everyone.  There are limits to
what five guys with no money can build.

>> That's a cheap 2GB!
>
> Not if you was buying it from me ;)

I need to talk to you about that.  I think I need to source an ICT
supplier for bits and bobs.

>> Hm...if you could email me off-list with more specifics I'm sure I could
>> help you.  Failing that I can haul in another member of the Enigmail team.
>
> That is very generous of you, I will email you from home where most of my
> balls ups are located. Either tonight or over the next couple of days.

No problem.  Contact me anytime and I'll try to chase answers for you.
I cannot promise that it'll get answer right away, but I can tell you
that I *always* follow through on these matters.

>> Can you tell me what happened with the filters?  Was it a code issue or
>> was it more to do with setting up new filters on a slightly unfamiliar
>> application?
>
> Don't quote me but I think under MobilityMail you need to set them against
> each account, they suddenly started working, so I haven't messed with them
> since. I will say every now and again either the RSS feeds and or Email draws
> down stuff that's already there but its no big deal.

Erm, yes.  You need to set filters against every account.  I
occasionally find it a pain too.  It is also possible to set a filter to
run on 'Local Folders' but I don't have a great deal of experience with
that voodoo either.

Shane

- --
Shane Martin Coughlan
e: shane at opendawn.com
m: +447773180107 (UK) +353862262570 (Ire)
w: www.opendawn.com
- ---