[Wolves] Hooray SuSE is back

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 10:31:43 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 09:38, Simon Morris wrote:

> AppArmor is awesome - I'm blogging it for my companies internal blog
> now, so I'll post a copy somewhere public afterwards

Yes please, I know nothing about it so have left it alone, I try to learn as
much as I can about a few things rather than knowing a little bit about a lot
of things.

> Yeah - 3rd party RPMs (and .debs) are just a pitfall to fall into I
> think. This is where Debian has a lot of value IMO.

Actually I do like Debian and have installed it a couple of times.
IMO it looks a bit old but then its meant to as its probably the most stable
distro around.

> SUSE/Novell have to offer support on the software they provide, so
> typically you don't find a large number of available packages.

Actually I think they are moving in the direction the company I work for is
there is no money in tin anymore theres not much margin in software sales
either support is now the golden chalice.

I think thats why the Admin manual was removed a subtle attempt to get you to
take out a support contract.

--<cut>--

> So - fair enough - SUSE don't want to support the wzdftpd package (WTF
> *is* wzdftpd??), but that means that whoever wants to use that package
> either has to compile it, or compile is and make their own RPMS, or
> use 3rd Party RPMS.

I've no personal experience of a Novell/SuSE support contract and don't know
anyone who has one but I wonder if in fact they would help you with wzdftpd
if you had a contract?

Never forget that the likes of Novell & RedHat are in it to make money they
may well pay lip service to Open Source but paying customers will always get
preferential treatment.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon