[Wolves] Hooray SuSE is back

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 10:45:58 GMT 2006

On 01/03/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> Actually I do like Debian and have installed it a couple of times.
> IMO it looks a bit old but then its meant to as its probably the most stable
> distro around.

I agree - but then again it is hard to find a balance. I seem to veer
between wanting to play with packages that are bleeding edge and then
getting grumpy when I find bugs that affect my work when I am trying
to get stuff done :-) I don't think you can have it both ways.

Certainly for servers Debian gets my vote for the "older but a lot
more tested approach" although Woody was getting seriously "old" at
the end of it's life cycle

> > So - fair enough - SUSE don't want to support the wzdftpd package (WTF
> > *is* wzdftpd??), but that means that whoever wants to use that package
> > either has to compile it, or compile is and make their own RPMS, or
> > use 3rd Party RPMS.
>
> I've no personal experience of a Novell/SuSE support contract and don't know
> anyone who has one but I wonder if in fact they would help you with wzdftpd
> if you had a contract?

I have support contracts on some SLES9 servers and I've only put the
odd call in so far. I was happy with the support I got, but I am
fairly sure you can't go to them with non-standard RPM's and say
"support me". wzdftpd would certainly fall into that category. It
isn't realistic for them to offer support on software they don't
provide so it is a bit catch 22

Get support on a small subset of packages (SUSE, RH), or get no
support but have a lot of packages available (Debian)

> Never forget that the likes of Novell & RedHat are in it to make money they
> may well pay lip service to Open Source but paying customers will always get
> preferential treatment.

I agree. Having looked at the amount of code/projects Novell have
released (AppArmor, Xgl, iFolder, Evolution connector) and the
projects they are working on (beagle, etc etc) I get the warm and
fuzzies for them a little

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com