[Wolves] PC suppliers

Daniel Jones djones9960 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 21:33:49 GMT 2006

On 15/03/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 16:35, Daniel Jones wrote:
> > I'd shop for the bits online too; it's usually cheaper. (dabs.com)
>
> If you can build one cheaper yourself then you had better speak to the 900
> resellers who went out of business last year due to pressures from the likes
> of Dell, and PC world (I've even heard of companys buying from ASDA).

Oh gawd.  I'm not talking about the general state of the market.  I'm
sorry if I gave that impression.  I was talking about the likes of
PC2000 vs online sellers for bits.

> We ourselves have given up building our own. Please don't try and tell me you
> can command a better price as an individual when we as a company with bigger
> buying powers than you cant build them cheaper than Dell.

I'm not.

> I used to use the line you gave of;
> "Ah well its better to have individual parts everything is on the motherboard
> with that machine".

That was true for a long while, particularly with the graphics card.
A lot of mainboards these days though have AGP slots as well as the
inbuilt stuff.

> That argument cuts no ice anymore the build quality is pretty good these days
> plus like most people all thats cared about is CHEAP.

True.  But I'd definitely look at like-vs-like.  I'd view most ads
with suspicion, too; anything not listed almost certainly isn't there.

> Yes my feathers are ruffled!

I can tell; actually, I agree with most of your sentiments.  It's
annoying that most people will go for inferior product because it's
cheaper.

The point is, there's a bit more to getting a good machine than cost.
Someone who has perfectly good knowledge that would allow them to do
this, IMHO, should do so.  This is why I'm baffled that many people
who know full well how to build a machine do not do so themselves.

--
Dan