[Wolves] PC suppliers

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 09:10:16 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 21:34, Daniel Jones wrote:

> The point is, there's a bit more to getting a good machine than cost.
> Someone who has perfectly good knowledge that would allow them to do
> this, IMHO, should do so.  This is why I'm baffled that many people
> who know full well how to build a machine do not do so themselves.

My feathers are a bit smoother this morning after an excellent LUG meeting
last night.

The reason people don't build themselves is very very simple and can be
answered by questions.

1. How many people have their shoes repaired these days?
2. How many people fix their own cars?
3. How many people sew up holes in jackets or trousers?

You can see where I'm going with this, people today cant be arsed and I don't
blame them. Who wants to trudge around various shops, wait a week for all the
different suppliers to send parts to you then take up valuable drinking time
putting the god dam thin together?

Far easier to nip down to Woolworths, get a fairly decent machine come home
and switch it on, if you're only after Windows you can achieve all that in
probably under an hour!

Oh and as another snippet of information, companies are cancelling maintenance
contracts left right and centre, we've lost £20,000.00 this quarter due to
customers buying cheapo units, putting them in a cupboard ready for a failure
even if its a pathetic problem is still worth it in the long run given that
they come with 12-36 months warranty.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon